14. Strain of Cannibalism in Bible, Purity in Vedas
STRAIN OF CANNIBALISM IN BIBLE, PURITY IN VEDAS
1. STRAIN OF CANNIBALISM IN BIBLE
Cannibalism means ‘the practice of eating human flesh’. We find a strain of cannibalism in Holy Bible. Read the following seven verses carefully :
158. ‘9. And I will cause them to eat the flesh of their sons and the flesh of their daughters, and they shall eat every one the flesh of his friend in the siege and straitness, wherewith their enemies, and they that seek their lives, shall straiten them.’
- Jeremiah, 19/9
159. ‘10. The hands of the pitiful women have sodden their own children: they were their meat in the destruction of the daughter of my people.’
- Lamentations, 4/10
160. ‘28. And the king said unto her, What aileth thee? And she answered, This woman said unto me, Give thy son, that we may eat him to day, and we will eat my son tomorrow.’
- II Kings, 6/28
161. ‘29. So we boiled my son, and did eat him; and I said unto her on the next day, Give thy son, that we may eat him; and she bath hid her son.’
- II Kings, 6/29
162. ‘53. Then Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Except ye cat the flesh of the Son of man, and drink his blood, ye have no life in you.’
- John, 6/53
163. ‘53. And thou shalt eat the fruit of thine own body, the flesh of thy sons and of thy daughters, which the Lord thy God bath given thee, in the siege, and in the straitness, wherewith thine enemies shall distress thee;’
- Deuteronomy, 28/53
164. ‘29. And ye shall eat the flesh of your sons, and the flesh of your daughters shall ye eat.’
- Leviticus, 26/29
2. PURITY IN VEDAS
‘Return to Nature’ is the motto of Holy Vedas. Vedas teach us to have natural diet, entertain natural thoughts and perform natural deeds. Unnatural food results in unnatural thoughts. Unnatural thoughts lead to unnatural deeds. Unnatural deeds bring unnatural results. That is why Holy Vedas admonish us to lead natural life.
All ignoble deeds, odious and abominable actions and heinous crimes are the outcome of vile and vicious thoughts which originate from the mind. The mind is just like a horse whom the rider has to control by the dint of bridle. If he does not do so, the horse will go out of his control and will lead him to wrong road. That is why Vedic devotees pray to Almighty in the following mantra of Rig Veda, to lead their mind to correct path :
Bad`M naao Aipa vaataya mana: |
a Pgvaod, 10o20o1
Oh God Almighty,
Lead our mind to virtuous path.
- Rig Veda, 10/20/1
It is in the interest of man that he should curb and control his mind, which is very powerful. If he does not conquer his mind, he will be conquered by it. Consequently his mind, being let loose, will do havocs by means of vicious thoughts and his whole life will be ruined. That is why Vedic devotees pray to Supreme Being to endow their mind with pure thoughts.
yajjaga`taao dUrdOita dOvaM tadu sauptasya taqaOvaOita |
dUrD\:gamaM jyaaoitaYaaM jyaooitarokx tanmao mana: iSavasaD\:kxlpamastau ||
a yajauvao-d, 34o1
This mind of mine
Which travels too far
Which is light of lights
Which wanders to far-off places
Whether I am asleep or awake,
May resolve to do
What is good and pure.
- Yajur Veda, 34/1
Salvation of soul is also impossible without purity and piety. Hence Holy Vedas teach us to lead pure and pious life by means of natural diet, natural thoughts and natural deeds.
‘My quarrel with missionaries is that they think no religion other than Christianity is true.’
- M.K. Gandhi